Friday, May 22, 2009

A Rare Moment of Self-Discipline

A couple of months ago, we needed to get new cell phones (including my daughter's first one) and a new contract. Standing in the incredibly slow line was even more difficult because there was a seductress there, playing upon my desires, offering herself to me. Yes, I have made the i-phone a female for the purposes of this post. I so wanted to get one, as the apps, oh, the apps are so very cool. I am sure I can spend hours on Itunes hunting free and cheap apps so that I can figure out what song is playing in a restaurant, where the closest Chipotles is, and everything else.

But I resisted. I did not cave, and, now that I have another semi-endless contract with the cell phone company, I am unlikely to relent anytime soon. The idea of paying yet another $30-40 per month plus taxes for some cool stuff seemed a bit much. But with the loss of my older and smaller i-pod (I had two, including one newer 160 gb classic for HD backup and for recording interview) via theft, I could now get an i-touch. This is an i-phone without the phone. The wi-fi capability would facilitate much but not all of the cool-ness of the iphone. But, again, hard to justify with a perfectly functional, albeit heavy, classic ipod.

Waiting is the hardest part, as Tom Petty has indicated, and I am a terribly impatient person. But, the best strategy with technology is always to wait for the next price cut. Besides, I still need to persuade the wife to layout the additional bucks per month for an HD DVR.

No comments: